Saturday, December 17, 2016

"By the Bow" #1 & #2



I often enjoy taking an older painting that has been hanging around 
the studio for a while and see what can be done with it. 
In this case i felt the original was rather flat. 
The yellow house had no dimension. 
The grass was in need of improvement. 
Also i felt there was not enough contrast everywhere 
and the cows did not stand out like i thought they should. 
So! What to do? 
I started on the house and turned it a bit. The joy of acrylic. 
I then worked on the trees and created more dark values 
with the sky and water peeking through in spots.
I felt the bottom right corner was too large a space on it's own. 
I tried a boat but ended up with the road. 
And the road led to the far right building becoming a garage. 
Finally, i worked on the shadows and the grass. 
I think it works a lot better and i learned a lot doing this. 
As always there are many ways a painting can be re-worked. 
By doing this i am able to determine how i am progressing as an artist. 
In a few months if the painting is still here there may be further changes. 
I have come to realize that a painting is never really finished. 
We just need to know when to leave it alone. 
Merry Christmas everyone and God bless. 
Sold.








6 comments:

  1. Hello Ross, came to repay a visit to your wonderland. !!
    It always makes me feel good. Your painting looks great. I see you not only brightened the house, you remodeled it too. !! Yes, advantages of acrylics that would be impossible with watercolor.

    I want to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas, the best New Year.. and blessings to you...
    Barbra Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Barbra. It is always a delight for me to connect with you via the wonderland of blogging. Hope you are well. Thank you for your comments. Always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful paintings !!!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2017 !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new version - absolutely fabulous! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat. So nice of you to visit and i always appreciate your comments. Christmas was grand. I hope yours to be so as well. :)

      Delete